Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Shabby Chic Mailboxes


Every April, my club, the Big Apple Miniaturists, has a swap.  This year I signed up to do it.  (Last year I was traveling.)

Our project this year is a porch facade with a garden (although we haven't seen the completed version yet).  Mine will be shabby chic, although the porch facade has been modeled on a "Painted Lady" house.

I like to do swaps because it gives me motivation to try out various projects that I've been eyeing.  

So, first I made this shabby chic mailbox based on the blog Cinderella's Moments tutorial.  This is a great tutorial - very detailed, lots of pictures and helpful tips.  It's also a great blog to follow for shabby chic.



Then I made some pitchers based on this youtube tutorial (in French, but you could still figure out the patten and measurements easily): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNjfGs7UtPQ (un broc pour le bakery)




I highly recommend using Deco Art Triple Thick Gloss Glaze to get the porcelain look. 

I thought about making parsley plants, but some club members are very good (i.e., professionals) at making flowers. 

The pitchers were easy and fun, but I was waiting for the paper to arrive, so I started making mailboxes.   Plus I thought they would work well for a porch. Maybe next year, I will make the pitchers. :)

And here are 12 (and then I made an additional 2 more for my children, who each wanted one.)


I put my mailbox outside my bakery door because it seemed to fit really well there (maybe I will make another for my porch):



Have a great week!

8 comments:

  1. Very cute! I'm debating doing something like this for my current build, just so I can customize the color rather than be stuck with a black mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend doing it - I think it comes out much better than the black mailboxes.

      Delete
  2. You have been busy! Do you meet your fellow group members or do it virtually? I'm just nosey :0D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nosiness welcome! We meet in person every second Saturday of the month from September - June in lower Manhattan. I joined about 2 years ago and it's so much fun! Last year, we did a sewing room (and someday I will put it altogether and photograph it).

      Delete
  3. Te ha quedado genial ,donde le has puesto encaja de maravilla:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea and perfect for a porch project! I like the pitchers, too! Can't wait to see your project with all of the swap items!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, although I just recently saw the porch facade, and unfortunately there is no space between the door and the window for it, so I might have to make a standing mailbox using the same techniques. So it's good that the mailbox works perfectly for my bakery!

      Delete